4 Simple Ways To Find Your Own Unique Fashion Style

4 Simple Ways To Find Your Own Unique Fashion Style

How can you be truly authentic in this day and age?  When we’re constantly bombarded with pictures and videos telling us what to buy, what to wear and how we should BE (Instagram, I’m looking at you).

I remember when I was a teenager, I felt so lost and had no idea what my identity was.  I saw all the girls around me dressing in cool and expensive sporty clothes but I didn’t have enough money to buy any.  Also, deep down, I knew I wasn’t that interested in what they were wearing anyway (McKenzie hoodies? No thanks!)  I took Fashion & Textiles classes at school and used those practical lessons to design and sew the kind of clothes I wanted to wear (smart eh? Two birds with one stone and all.)

When university came around, I found myself experimenting with mainstream fashion in an attempt to fit in.  But I still didn’t feel like me.  It wasn’t until I subconsciously started doing the things that I’m about to share with you, that I realised what my real fashion style was.

And the thing is, many would say that fashion is not really an important issue.  Or that there are more important things to be concerned about in the world.  But I genuinely believe that the way you dress can change the way you think and feel about yourself.  Which in turn boosts your confidence and overall mood.

So how can you find your own unique sense of style?  Read on to find out.

Watch: C/O Klasse14 (12% discount with code JOJO)

1. Stop living in your comfort zone

What I’ve found mostly with the girls that have told me that I’ve inspired them to dress in their own unique style, is that almost all of them were buying and wearing clothes that they deemed easy and fail safe.  By this, I mean mostly black-coloured clothing.  Now I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with dressing in head to toe black, but is that really what you want?  I own maybe 1-2 black clothing items in my wardrobe because the colour does not appeal to me.  To me, it’s not a challenge because black is easy to match with black.  It doesn’t make you stand out and it’s easy.  Simply put, black just doesn’t allow me to express my creative side.

2. Stop caring what other people think

So many of us live in constant fear of what other people will think.  And the thing is, our time on Earth is so short.  And life is so precious!  Why waste it on other people?  I say be selfish in this and dress how you truly want to dress.  Removing all thoughts of what people will think or what they might say to you.  The only person you need to live with every day, is yourself.  So I say take care of number 1 first.

3. Detox and think about what you really want

Like I said earlier, it’s seriously so easy for us to get sucked into the latest fads and trends and start jumping on those bandwagons.  But before you do, think for yourself : “do I truly want to wear this, or am I just buying it because of the hype?”

4. Don’t try to be someone that you’re not

Above all else, stay true to yourself and don’t feel pressured by others or by what’s trending.  Heck, I say set your own trends!  You can lie to everyone else, but you can’t lie to yourself.  Wear things that you truly like and that make you feel good.  Don’t try to dress a certain way in order to pretend to be a certain type of person.

So there you have it.  My 4 ways of finding your unique sense of style.  Once you’ve nailed your personal style, shopping online and in-store will be a breeze.  You’ll be able to filter out the things you like from the things you hate immediately.  When I walk into stores, I can straight away pick out the things I think I’ll like without spending hours browsing.  And as soon as I put something on, I can immediately tell myself “heck yes!” or “heck no”.  Also, if it’s a maybe, then it’s usually a no too!

I hope that helped.  Let me know in the comments which tip was your favourite, or if you have any tips of your own to share!

Pink leather pouch bag: C/O Tea Rose London | Watch: C/O Klasse14 (12% discount with code JOJO)

Shop My Style:

1. Kansas Bonanno
    18th July 2018 / 12:57 am

So very beautiful! The purple accents the light dress perfectly.

2. Whitney Kutch
    18th July 2018 / 1:01 am

These are excellent tips! When I finally decided to stop caring about what other people think, that’s really when I began to embrace my own style. Thanks for sharing!

3. prabashi
    18th July 2018 / 6:59 am

our style really resembles us. thanks you for sharing. great post

4. 18th July 2018 / 8:00 am

I love your dress and the pictures amidst the lavender fields are beautiful as well.
    I like the point you make about not caring what other people think. I think it’s of paramount importance.

5. Preet
    18th July 2018 / 8:26 am

This is so lovely! How I wish I was as talented and could pull off such a look.

6. 18th July 2018 / 9:04 am

Great tips! It’s so great how we can show our identity through style! You look beautiful, btw, in tour own style. 🙂

7. Olga Zak
    18th July 2018 / 10:44 am

Yes, we all love to live in our comfort zone. First of all, we should come out of it and face life bravely. Great tips.

8. Geraline Batarra
    18th July 2018 / 11:21 am

These are a great tips that should keep in mind by many. I agree with you, we should stop living in our comfort zone sometimes and we should not try to be someone that we are totally not.

9. 18th July 2018 / 12:52 pm

a beautiful dress. I like the necklace. All the pictures are so good that you don’t get tired scrolling through them

10. Daisy
    18th July 2018 / 1:24 pm

You look absolutely lovely and what a fun day in a beautiful location! I think the key to finding a style is just being true to yourself and what makes you feel great and not worrying about what others think.

11. 18th July 2018 / 2:42 pm

Could not agree more with your tips, I was always busy worrying what people think and how society wanted me to look and as I’ve gotten older I have realised that the only person I need to worry about is myself and how I feel

12. 18th July 2018 / 3:01 pm

Oh, I have found my unique fashion sense. It’s called NOT caring about what I am wearing or what I look like, hahaha! And then rocking that “look”.

13. 18th July 2018 / 3:29 pm

Your outfit is so pretty! And thank you for these reminders about not thinking about what other people want

14. Kamapala Chukwuka
    18th July 2018 / 3:31 pm

First off just want to say, girl you are gorgeous! I totally agree and find these tips very helpful. I have my own style and believe it suits me the best. I do from time to time follow fashion trends but they are trends that again fit my style 🙂 Fabulous post, thanks for sharing

18th July 2018 / 3:59 pm

This is a really great post. I loved the tips you gave for finding a unique fashion style and I found it so helpful indeed!

16. 18th July 2018 / 4:07 pm

Your dress is super cute and the location is great. Nice pictures.

17. Prerna
    18th July 2018 / 4:34 pm

Imitating would never let anyone have a style of their own. Loved your insights. Plus those gorgeous lavender fields. wow.

18. 18th July 2018 / 6:54 pm

Oh what great tips. You have a lovely style and your pictures are beautiful.

19. 18th July 2018 / 6:58 pm

I have to say that I love your style and your gorgeous photography. And the LAVENDER….that had to be a heavenly place to do a photo shoot. Your advice is very good. We should all have the courage to be ourselves and not seek approval from others based on their conformity.

20. Ann Snook
    18th July 2018 / 7:33 pm

Not caring what others think of your style is key! I’ve always loved wearing prints and bright colors and growing up hasn’t stopped me from keeping those as part of my personal style, even though some people see them as childish.

21. 18th July 2018 / 8:14 pm

I love purple and that background of purple flowers is gorgeous! I love that dress too!

22. 18th July 2018 / 8:25 pm

These are such beautiful photos. What a pretty area. I like the dress too.

My style is all about comfort. I don’t care if it’s fashion, so I like your list!

23. Ann Snook
    18th July 2018 / 8:27 pm

Figuring out if you really like something or if it’s just trendy is such a smart tip. There were tons of times in high school where I was about to buy trendy pieces but they didn’t suit me so I skipped them . . . many of them I’m glad about now! LOL

24. 18th July 2018 / 8:35 pm

The way you dress really can change the way you think and feel about yourself – 100% agree there. I can usually be found slouching around home in my “comfy” clothes, but when I go out, I like to try new styles to boost my self-esteem.

25. 18th July 2018 / 9:54 pm

I like to think that I have my own style. I wear what looks cute on me and I also like lots of color.

26. 19th July 2018 / 2:37 am

What a pretty setting for these photos! Also, I totally agree with not trying to be someone you’re not. Just because I love some’s sense of style, doesn’t mean it fits with my personality and body type! I always try to keep that in mind.

27. 19th July 2018 / 3:04 am

Stopping caring what other people think is step one! I love my style even if it isnt for everyone!

28. 19th July 2018 / 3:27 am

Very nice tips! and your photos looks gorgeous! I like it!

29. 19th July 2018 / 4:25 am

I need to start thinking like this. I really would love my own new style.

30. 19th July 2018 / 4:28 am

Can I just copy yours! Seriously, you look so pretty; I love it!

31. 19th July 2018 / 4:59 am

Your outfit is beautiful and these photos are stunning!! I love the tips you share especially not caring what other people think! I think that’s very important when dressing yourself and being true to yourself!

32. 19th July 2018 / 5:47 am

I really like the pictures. The way you have taken your readers through every step was also engaging. I wish I could photograph you 😀

33. Annemarie LeBlanc
    19th July 2018 / 7:45 am

Great pieces of advice! I agree with you in all these. I do not even try to act like someone else because that would be like lying to myself and to others. I am m own unique self and I love that. My personality shows in the way I carry myself, in the clothes I wear and the way I am in public.

34. pujarini mitra
    19th July 2018 / 9:13 am

I like everything about this post. The dress, the simple accessories and your unique style.

35. 19th July 2018 / 11:09 am

Very true it’s not about how the dress will look on you but how you carry the dress. Beautiful pictures!

36. 19th July 2018 / 12:44 pm

I couldn’t have agreed more with tips #2 and #4. I have always believed that you should pay less attention to what other people think of you and just try to be the he best version of you.

37. Rosey
    19th July 2018 / 2:21 pm

I am a teacher and see a lot of kids wrapping their identity into cookie cutter clothes. Everyone wants to have what everyone else is wearing so they can ‘fit in.’ It’s so ridiculous to me. I appreciate your perspective to dress like you really want to!

38. 19th July 2018 / 3:07 pm

Looking absolutely stunning!And when it comes to finding one’s own personal style, I agree that we should not try to be someone else but find what works for us without minding what people say. At least I did that!

39. 19th July 2018 / 3:20 pm

Your photos are always so so stunning ! Such a beautiful sense of style you have.

40. 19th July 2018 / 4:52 pm

These are great tips! I know I care too much about what other people may think and that is definitely something I need to work on. Thanks for sharing!

41. Emma Riley
    19th July 2018 / 5:42 pm

These are great tips that need to keep in mind in styling yourself. I love the first one that I don’t need to care about what other people think because this is my life and they should not rule it over me.

42. Abrah
    19th July 2018 / 8:49 pm

Super tips and beautiful photos! Couldn’t take my eye off your pictures.

43. Ruth I.
    19th July 2018 / 8:51 pm

I am always on my shirt and jeans when I go out. Pretty boring eh? I know I need to be riskier and try other things. Thanks for the tips!

44. 20th July 2018 / 4:14 am

Lovely pictures and great tips. I especially liked the one that says don`t try to be somebody else, so true!

45. Kiwi
    20th July 2018 / 5:42 am

I think people think fashion is what is trendy, what are the celebs doing and what are the high fashion models are wearing. That isnt fashion that is robotic and being a follower but I am happy you found your own sense of style.

46. 20th July 2018 / 9:41 am

Great tips! I’m terribly guilty of always dressing in my comfort zone and should really try and be more brave 🙂

47. 20th July 2018 / 10:04 am

oh these photos are so so beautiful! You’ve made me want to find a lavender field and a pretty dress to twirl in! x

48. 20th July 2018 / 3:10 pm

So true! I agree with your tips, fashion to each one of depends on how we carry and what brings out the best in us. Great share!

49. 20th July 2018 / 11:40 pm

I absolutely agree that we should all dress to suit our selves . Creating your own identity is very important.

50. 21st July 2018 / 2:49 pm

I absolutely love your tips and definitely love being authenticated and true to my own skin

51. 23rd July 2018 / 4:05 pm

Lovely tips and adorable photos!!!