6 Powerful Time-Saving Gmail Secrets for Busy People

6 Powerful Time-Saving Gmail Secrets for Busy People

As a business owner of two companies, it can be pretty stressful to juggle all my emails.  Over the past few years of running my businesses, I’ve got my email game down to a T!  Here I am sharing my email hacks to help you save valuable time.

1. Have all your work email forwarded to Gmail

So I have my LoveJojo email addresses (for support/enquiries/sponsorship/job positions etc), my blog enquiries email addresses, my Instagram consulting email addresses.  This can get quite time-consuming and confusing to monitor so many email inboxes.  So I have everything forward to my Gmail account and then set up email aliases so that I can reply to emails I receive as if I’m replying straight from the email address they were sent to.

To do this is pretty simple.  All you need to do is go to Gmail > Settings > Accounts & Import > Add another email address under the “send mail as” section.  Make sure you tick “Treat as an alias” on the first page.  Then get the SMTP Server/username/password from your website host.

2. Unsubscribe from all irrelevant emails

This is a huge one for me.  I started using Gmail in 2004 which means I have had this email address for over 13 years!  Back in the good old days, you don’t think about subscribing to shop newsletters to get discounts and coupons, but over time, your tastes change and many of these emails are no longer relevant.  I spent the past decade ignoring these emails and diligently deleting them as they arrived in my email inbox.  One day, I thought to myself: “am I mad?!” Why was I wasting so many precious seconds and minutes of each day deleting these unwanted emails?  So from that point on, every time I received an irrelevant email, I unsubscribed immediately.  This can take a little bit of time, but the results are so worth it!

The result of this was a pure and clean email inbox where the only emails I received were emails that were important.

3. Delete or archive all emails

I spent some time cleaning up my entire email inbox on Gmail.  First I went through and archived all the emails I wanted to keep, then I went and deleted any unnecessary emails.  After that, I searched in the top search bar of Gmail for any emails containing attachments larger than 20mb and deleted anything I didn’t need anymore.  Once I’d done all of this, my email inbox was empty.  Now, anytime any emails come in, I respond and archive or delete as applicable.  This is more productive in my opinion since before I did this, every time I looked at my email inbox, I felt so overwhelmed, I didn’t even want to deal with it!

4. Use canned responses on Gmail

I sometimes receive email enquiries from customers and I noticed I spent so much time typing out the same responses.  There is a feature on Gmail that allows you to click a button to send a pre-written response!  Go to Gmail Settings > Labs tab > Enable Canned Responses

Go to compose a new email, type in your desired pre-written response and click the drop-down arrow in the bottom left to get more options.  Then choose Canned Responses > New Canned Response.  This tip alone has saved me so much time writing the same emails out!

5. Use Direct Communication

I had to learn this one the hard way.  I believe emails should be short and to-the-point.  We are all leading busy lives and don’t have time to read a huge essay from someone when it could be condensed down into a short paragraph.  At the end of the day, get to the point!

I found myself projecting my “niceness” into my emails, which backfired most of the time.  In a business setting, or if you’re requesting something from someone, it is far more effective to just say what you want, rather than asking and giving the other person the option to say no.  For example, rather than saying “I was wondering if it would be possible to send me ____ please?” consider using “Please kindly send me ____”.  People can sense manipulation if you use the first example.

There have been two instances in my professional life where I wrote emails like the first example.  Emails were exchanged back and forth for lengthy amounts of time before I decided to deploy the second example’s tactic, which garnered me instant results.  The first time, I wanted to have full rights to a design that was commissioned for one of my products.  The designer said no they couldn’t do that.  We exchanged emails 10+ times before I used direct communication to tell her what I wanted.  She said yes straight away!

Second time, I needed a Power of Attorney document signed by a company.  I spent almost 1 year trying to get this and because I felt like I had to be nice and super polite, my request was denied.  The moment I sent an email stated what I wanted, the company wrote back straight away and told me to send them the documents so they can sign it!

BONUS: 6. Use your iPhone’s text replacement function

I recently discovered under the iPhone’s text replacement option, you can write a huge block of pre-written text and type just a few letters to get it to show up!

Go to Settings > General > Keyboards > Text Replacement

Now type out what you want to show up and choose a few letters to use as the shortcut code.  Now each time you type that shortcut code, it will automatically type all of the text out for you!  You can save so much time using this to reply to emails on your phone.

Did you enjoy my email time hacks?  Which one was your favourite?  Let me know in the comments below which ones you’ll be using!

Don’t forget to follow me on Follow and my other social media below.

1. 20th July 2017 / 1:32 am

This is a great article. I also have my email account for a long time and it gets bombed with all the advertisements. I will take the time to unsubscribe , so I will have some freedom. Thanks for the great tips.

2. 20th July 2017 / 1:32 am

Thanks for sharing the unsubscribing from irrelevant emails will do me just fine

3. 20th July 2017 / 1:45 am

Definitely have to pin this because I’m starting to use my gmail account more for business anyway! Thank you for the great tips!

4. 20th July 2017 / 1:48 am

I’ve had my email address for a very long time as well and will definitely try these great tips! Thank you for sharing!

5. 20th July 2017 / 3:22 am

Oh my goodness! This article is gold! Everyone should read this I am definitely going to share!

6. 20th July 2017 / 3:33 am

I like the canned response feature.. It surely saves time..

7. 20th July 2017 / 3:46 am

Great tips! I already have all my work email forwarded to my Gmail, but I hadn’t thought about using canned responses or text replacement. Thanks for writing!!

8. 20th July 2017 / 4:19 am

#2 & #3 are the only ones I can really relate to. I don’t have an iPhone, and work emails stay within my company email/site. Otherwise great article never new of these options.

9. 20th July 2017 / 4:26 am

This is a great blog post! Thank you for these tips!

10. 20th July 2017 / 4:48 am

I love time saving hacks! I’m surprised that I use so many of these already! I’m definitely going to implement the ones I don’t. Thanks!

11. 20th July 2017 / 5:46 am

OH wow thank you! I need these tips for work, I’ve been getting so overwhelmed lately!!

12. 20th July 2017 / 7:07 am

This was very interesting! Learned a lot of new stuff! 🙂 thank you for sharing.

13. 20th July 2017 / 8:56 am

Well, this was an eye opening post. I have a bunch of emails that I don’t even read! I will unsubscribing later! thank you for sharing. 🙂

14. 20th July 2017 / 12:14 pm

Wow, I actually didn’t know of any of these tips 🙈 Great list!

15. Ramiz Kaydı
    20th July 2017 / 1:00 pm

ı will try tu use your advices about it,,thanks for share it

16. 20th July 2017 / 1:08 pm

I have been using my email basic features for several years. I am contented with the tedious kind of doing email and I am always stuffed with irrelevant messages which took me several minutes of deleting them. Now as I have read your post, I have a good tips on how to do with them. This is indeed informative and helpful tips for me.

17. 20th July 2017 / 1:10 pm

These are all great tips!! I have really been trying to unsubscribe from a lot of emails and it has really helped my inbox. I need to try the canned responses too 🙂 Thanks!

18. 20th July 2017 / 1:29 pm

These tips just made things easier for me. I am going to employ most of them. Thanks.

19. 20th July 2017 / 1:32 pm

I really need to go through and delete or archive my emails. I have so much clutter that I have a hard time finding what I really need.

20. 20th July 2017 / 2:09 pm

My inbox is flooded with thousands of emails I don’t need/want. Thank you for this!

21. 20th July 2017 / 2:53 pm

Very informative. I love Gmail so much. Especially being able to access multiple accounts easily. I didnt know about the canned responses. Ill have to set that up. Thanks for sharing.

22. 20th July 2017 / 4:04 pm

Thank you for sharing your tips! I multitask a lot because of my limited time lol. These tips will help me be more efficient with my gmail account and one less thing i have to worry about.

23. 20th July 2017 / 4:12 pm

These are such helpful tips!!! I’d never thought of most of these – but you’re right! I’m definitely going to start implementing!

24. 20th July 2017 / 4:30 pm

This advice is great! My emails are so unorganized right now, this really helped! 🙂

25. 20th July 2017 / 6:51 pm

Very helpful post. I also use some of these features but I have to do a few them which you mentioned like deleting all the useless ones. Thanks for sharing.

26. 20th July 2017 / 7:53 pm

I definitely need to do #2. I spend a lot of time deleting mass emails from things I subscribed to that are no longer relevant

27. 20th July 2017 / 8:40 pm

Thanks for the great tips. I didn’t know about the canned responses available on gmail but as I am truly lazy, for sure I will use it in the future 🙂 I will also take the time to unsubscribe from irrelevant emails !

28. suchi
    20th July 2017 / 10:15 pm

Definitely bookmarked it! Thank you for the great tips!

29. 21st July 2017 / 1:11 am

Yes, Yes, Yes! I needed all of these! My inbox is an absolute mess and its actually on my todo list to clean it up this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing!

30. 21st July 2017 / 2:05 am

Very useful tips! now to find time to do it 🙂

31. 21st July 2017 / 10:43 am

These are great tips! I do spend a lot of time unsubscribing from useless emails!

32. Amrita
    21st July 2017 / 11:31 am

Great tips .I need to delete more .Loved how easy ypu made managing my Gmail sound !I have been feeling overwhelmed for some time

33. Valerie Robinson
    21st July 2017 / 11:50 am

These are all very doable tips. I have been working on #2 for a while!

34. 21st July 2017 / 11:56 am

I am currently unsubscribing from unnecessary emails and it is such a pain. My email is old as well so it is really time consuming.

35. 21st July 2017 / 5:00 pm

this is so nice , i m always irritated with my old email .

36. 21st July 2017 / 5:50 pm

Our office email has been migrated and is accessible via google. It’s nice to learn more tricks in maximizing the potentials of gmail.

37. 21st July 2017 / 7:33 pm

These are super smart ideas! I get so much junk mail 🙁

38. 21st July 2017 / 7:58 pm

Hey, Jojo! These tips were quite helpful and inspired me to work on my email habits. I was impressed with how you demonstrated direct communication right there at the end of your post, by asking us which of these strategies we were going to try! 🙂 Nicely done!

I’d like to spend some time cleaning out my inbox of emails that I’ll never need to reference again. I’d also like to take a look at my social and promotion inboxes to figure out how to have more control about where emails land in my gmail account. Thanks for getting me thinking (and hopefully doing)!

39. 22nd July 2017 / 12:14 am

This is really a great article though I’m a bit not interested in emails. I do unsubscribing to irrelevant emails and delete old emails that no longer useful.

40. 22nd July 2017 / 12:56 pm

Hi Jo jo,
    This was a great read. I find that email takes over my life like weeds in a field! Another tip is to put aided specific times during the day for when you check your mail…. instead of constantly addressing each one as they come in!

41. 23rd July 2017 / 8:27 pm

The canned response is new to me! Let me go check it out! Rest all, I’ve been using. Right, Google really knows how to make our lives simpler!

42. 24th July 2017 / 5:15 pm

This was a great read.
    I have learned a lot from this. thanks for sharing this tips.

43. 31st July 2017 / 9:47 am

My favorite has got to be the iphone replacement hack! It’s so much more convenient to reply to business contacts with that one.

44. 4th August 2017 / 8:53 am

These are all great tips! I personally do some of these. I agree with you, writing short and direct to the point e-mails are extremely helpful. Great management of emails is definitely a necessity for bloggers, business men and women, and content creators.

❀ Grace ❀

12th August 2017 / 2:24 pm

There are many busy people who don’t really have enough time to read and reply to emails. However, this is such a great tips for them. This is a good help for those who have that struggles.

46. 17th August 2017 / 3:50 pm

Great tips! I just unsubscribed to all the unnecessary newsletters and it has cleared my email up a ton! Tip #1 is super helpful for me, I never even knew such a thing existed! Thanks for the post 🙂

47. 19th August 2017 / 4:27 am

Those were great tips! Since I’m new to blogging and currently looking for work. It’s a great time to implement them. I definitely need to unsubscribe from store emails. I love the layout of your blog by the way!!!